Death toll in Italian earthquake rises to 247
Quake northeast of Rome decimates towns across central Italy.
The death toll from an earthquake that struck central Italy early Wednesday morning has risen to 247 people, civil defense officials said Thursday.
The quake, which was felt as far as Rome, devastated towns near its epicenter, some 70 miles northeast of the capital.
368 people have been reported injured, with still more, including children, unaccounted for and potentially buried under the rubble of toppled buildings.
Prime Minister Matteo Renzi warned earlier that the number of killed and wounded would likely rise as rescue teams continued to uncover victims from the debris.
“This is not a final toll,” said Renzi.
The 6.2 magnitude earthquake had more than 200 aftershocks, the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology reported.