President Rivlin to lead March of the Living alongside heads of the IDF, Israeli Police, Mossad, and ISA
Israel President Reuven Rivlin will lead on Thursday 12 Aril 2018 / 27 Nissan 5778, at 14:30 Israel time (13:30 Poland time), the 30th annual March of the Living from the gates of Auschwitz to Auschwitz-Birkenau, marking Israel’s Holocaust Martyrs’ and Heroes’ Remembrance Day. The President will be accompanied by the IDF Chief of Staff, the Chief of Israel’s Police, and the heads of the Mossad and Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet), as well as a delegation from the President’s Residence led by Director General Harel Tubi.
The following is a schedule for the visit
Thursday, 12 April
Morning: President Rivlin will arrive in Poland.
10:45 Israel / 09:45 Poland – President Rivlin will address the official delegation from Israel on his arrival to Krakow Airport. Official coverage only.
12:00 Israel / 11:00 Poland – President Rivlin will hold a working meeting with the President of Poland, Andrzej Duda. Following their meeting, the two will deliver statements. Official coverage only.
12:20 Israel / 11:20 Poland - President Rivlin will tour the museum at the Auschwitz Death Camp, accompanied by the official Israeli delegation.Official coverage only.
14:30 Israel / 13:30 Poland – President Rivlin will lead the March of the Living from the gates of Auschwitz to Auschwitz-Birkenau.
15:45 Israel / 14:45 Poland – Arrive at Auschwitz-Birkenau.
15:55 Israel / 14:55 Poland – Commencement of the Memorial Ceremony at Auschwitz-Birkenau.
The ceremony will proceed as follows:
- Violin performance
- Shai Abrahamson will perform “The city is burning”
- Address by Chairman of March of the Living, Shmuel Rosenman
- Address by President of Poland, Andrzej Duda (Speaking in Polish)
- Address by President of Israel, Reuven Rivlin (Speaking in Hebrew)
- Screening of a film telling the story of the Japanese Consul who was recognized as a Righteous Among the Nation
- Performance of the song “Eli Eli” “My God, My God”, whose lyrics were written by Hannah Szenes who was murdered by the Nazis when she returned to help rescue Jews from Europe
- Address by former Chief Rabbi Lau
- Address by mother and daughter Einat and Tali Katz
- Performance of two songs by Shlomo Artzi
- Lighting of Remembrance Torches
- Memorial Prayer
- Conclusion 18:15 Israel / 17:15 Poland